Loodus Lovers' Lodge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia)

+6
Laaly
Ricky
AllyKass
caysa
garina do mar
Bisky
10 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Empty Re: American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia)

Post by AllyKass Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

caysa wrote:
AllyKass wrote:
caysa wrote:The family is so cute and the parents already know so well what to do.
I think it might be our only chance to see eaglets this year....
yes our eagles acting littlebit strange, but we will see

Still hope - but getting less every day....
they saw one young eagle looking near the nest, maybe there come new eagle pair
AllyKass
AllyKass

Female Posts : 11603

Back to top Go down

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Empty Re: American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia)

Post by caysa Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

That would be nice too - after all the effort of putting up the cam...
caysa
caysa

Female Aries Posts : 13628

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:13 pm

The three little fluffballs have disappeared! These guys should be ready to be banded and weighed before long.
American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-017
Bisky
Bisky

Female Sagittarius Posts : 4036

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 pm

one is too much bigger of the others Shocked
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Yes, it had four days to be an only child before the next one hatched so it had a head start on fish eating. The second and third eaglets are only two days apart in age, so they are a little closer in size.
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by ergee Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 am

Banding on 21.4.2011 at 9 am EDT.

It is sooo nice to see them, they are doing so well! Many cams stop and this one might
get more viewers now....

ergee
ergee

Female Taurus Posts : 6146

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 pm

slap Oh no! I totally missed the weighing and banding of the eaglets this year. It happened yesterday when Cooper was hosting his dog school classmates at our house. They enjoyed having class outside in our yard: lots of room to run and many new animal smells to sniff.

Here is a link to the pictures that the Botanical Gardens posted and some information about the little guys.

http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu/2011/04/21/eaglets-get-identification-braclets/
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Bisky wrote: slap Oh no! I totally missed the weighing and banding of the eaglets this year. It happened yesterday when Cooper was hosting his dog school classmates at our house. They enjoyed having class outside in our yard: lots of room to run and many new animal smells to sniff.

Here is a link to the pictures that the Botanical Gardens posted and some information about the little guys.

http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu/2011/04/21/eaglets-get-identification-braclets/
but cooper and his classmates pictures???
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah - we want dog pics too!!!!
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:44 am

Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 am

poor momeagle,my condolences!
hope that dad can feed eaglets!
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:51 am

Kills me inside to read this......
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:25 pm

I still feel incredibly sad this morning. American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Sad_1311

The cam is not on right now, but I read that dad did bring in a fish for the little ones this morning, kind of waited around a bit for mom to fly back to start feeding them, and then fed them himself.

The wildlife workers are watching the situation carefully and are ready to rescue the eaglets if their needs are not being met by the dad. But he always has been wonderful in the past years raising his family, so I hope that he can manage by himself and the little ones will not have to be removed from the nest.
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 pm

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-015

Dad fed them last night and this morning, but it has been decided that it is best to remove the eaglets from the nest and raise them at the wildlife center until they can be released into the wild later this summer.

The removal will take place today at about 17:00 Estonian time. It will make me too sad to watch. I am sure that pictures will be posted on their website later today.
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:35 pm

All gone. They are on their way to the wildlife center where they will be kept together in an artificial nest where they can see other eagles flying and eating.

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-016
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Oh man... and what about Daddy Eagle??? He now lost both his spouse and his kids....
I know it's not right to humanize, but I am sure he has some feelings....
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 pm

caysa wrote:Oh man... and what about Daddy Eagle??? He now lost both his spouse and his kids....
I know it's not right to humanize, but I am sure he has some feelings....
i think the same, they would be observed,will dad feed his eaglets,more,now maybe next year there not be nesting,because dad not drust this place?
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 am

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-017

Dad came back to the nest in the early evening for a little while. He had brought a fish for the eaglets this morning just after they were removed from the nest and left it there. Shortly after I captured this picture, he picked up the fish and flew off. It was almost like he knew that they would not be back to eat it, so it became his dinner--life goes on.
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 am

Oh man...... let's hope he finds a new female.....
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

how old this dad is?
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm

I am not sure what his age is, Ally. I know that the mom was thought to be 15 years old, and I seem to remember reading that he was probably a year or two younger. Neither one was banded, so the naturalists cannot know for sure.

He was her second mate and they had raised 19 eaglets together -- her first mate was killed in 2002 also by an airplane.
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by AllyKass Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Bisky wrote:I am not sure what his age is, Ally. I know that the mom was thought to be 15 years old, and I seem to remember reading that he was probably a year or two younger. Neither one was banded, so the naturalists cannot know for sure.

He was her second mate and they had raised 19 eaglets together -- her first mate was killed in 2002 also by an airplane.
thanks for answer. seems that 15 year is the best years in eagles life if they live to 30th year. but 19 eaglets are pretty mutch,seems they had good life together. i so hope that dad find new wife.
AllyKass
AllyKass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Here is a video of the eaglets' new home -- they are expected to move in this afternoon. I am sure that they will have another video once they are moved in. Many of us are happy to hear that there will be a webcam so we can continue to watch them grow.

2:53 They look pretty comfortable in their new nest.
American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-018

Food is already in small pieces so they can feed themselves.
American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-020
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:47 am

The web address for the new cam for the eaglets is:

http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/eagle-cam.html?wcv

The connection isn't as clear as the old one, but it is certainly better than no camera at all!
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 am

Thanks, Bisky!!!
This makes me feel a lot better!!!!
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Fish truck has arrived! A special delivery of 84 pounds of fish for the growing eaglets and other resident eagles. They will also be introducing the eaglets to chopped up mice--yum yum.American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Eating10

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Fish_t10
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Sun May 01, 2011 8:22 pm

chopped up mice--yum yum American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Eating10
INDEED affraid
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Sun May 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Looks like they are enjoying the new scenery on a beautiful afternoon. The size differences are evening out. The two oldest are females, so they will always be about 25% larger than their baby brother. It also looks like the camera operator is experimenting with the zoom on the new camera system.

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 2011-021

Last edited by Bisky on Tue May 03, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by caysa Sun May 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Seems that they will be just fine!!
In the wild they really seem to see mom and dad as food providersĀ“so as long as they have food they avaiable they should be ok Wink
caysa
caysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bisky Thu May 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Early this morning, the webcam caught one of the eaglets watching a black bear cub stroll past their enclosure. The wildlife center is in a heavily forested area where bears are common, but they never had a webcam before now to see how close they come.

American Bald Eagle - Norfolk Botanical Gardens (Virginia) - Page 9 Watchi10
Bisky
Bisky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next